Grandparent Visitation Virginia Relocation Move Child Fairfax Loudoun

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act is designed to protect children across the nation. It was born out of the necessity for our legal system to adjust to a more mobile populace and to provide consistently in a complex legal structure.

In the state of Virginia, there is no statute dedicated exclusively to grandparents’ visitation rights. The Virginia courts recognize the rights of grandparents are secondary to parents. In Virginia, parents enjoy a very high level of protection from the perceived intrusion of third parties such as grandparents into their relationships with their children.

People choose to relocate for a variety of reasons, such as a new job, remarriage or even the desire to reside in a different climate. In the United States, we take it for granted that an adult is free to relocate throughout the country without the approval of the court or of a governmental agency. However, when a parent involved in a child custody matter wishes to relocate with their children to another state or even within the same state, they may be required to receive permission from the other parent and/or the Family Court.

If the other parent disagrees with the move, you will need to ask the court for approval. The burden then shifts immediately to the relocating party that the move is in the best interests of the child. All factors are considered in what is best for the child, not the parents.

Child support is calculated differently in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. While there are state-established formulas that clearly define the amount of support payments, there may be unique instances where our firm can help fight for or defend against deviations from the guidelines. Our child-support lawyers are also highly skilled in resolving international child-support issues.

If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where the custody case is being heard, known as a “change of venue.” However, if there has been a lot of court dates for your case already or if the other parent objects to the case being moved, this might make it harder to transfer the case. Generally, the judge hearing the case will need to be involved in this decision. This is a complicated issue, so it may be best to contact a lawyer if this applies to you.

Obtaining permission to move the child or children to another state can be achieved if the right set of facts are presented to the court. The laws pertaining to relocation are complex and cases regarding relocation move should only be handled by an attorney who is experienced at both assisting and preventing parents from moving with a child to a new state. We are very familiar with the Maryland laws and Virginia laws regarding relocation. We urge you to discuss this family law matter with us before you agree or disagree to a relocation.

If you need help with this type of case in Fairfax, Prince William (Manassas), Fauquier (Warrenton), Loudoun (Leesburg), Caroline, Stafford, Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg), Chesterfield, Henrico, Arlington, Richmond, Alexandria, call our law firm immediately for help and speak to a lawyer about your options. In Maryland, if you need help with this type of an issue in Montgomery County, Rockville, Bethesda, Howard County, Ellicott City or Frederick, do not hesitate to call us for a consultation.

The SRIS Law Group can help you best possible outcome based on the facts of your case. If you wish to consult an SRIS Law Group, P.C. attorney, call us at 855-696-3348. B

Scroll to Top